Long Range Acoustic Device LRAD 500X
The Long Range Acoustic Device LRAD 500X is an acoustic hailing and warning device comprised of a highly directional acoustic array (beam width 15°) that is designed for long-range communication and unmistakable warning. This device can issue clear, authoritative verbal commands and has the capability of following up with powerful deterrent tones to influence behavior or determine intent at great distances.
The LRAD 500X can be manually operated to provide long distance hailing and warning with highly intelligible communication. The superior voice intelligibility and clarity of the LRAD 500X provides a directional audio beam that can communicate with high intelligibility over 88 dB of background noise beyond 650 meters and is capable of communicating over 2000 meters away in a benign environment. It produces a maximum continuous output of 148 dB SPL at 1 meter.
The technology behind the Long Range Acoustic Device LRAD 500X was developed to support the protection and exclusion zones around U.S. Navy warships following the October 12, 2000 small-boat terrorist attack on the USS Cole off the coast of Yemen killing 17 sailors and causing $240 million in structural damage to the $1 billion ship. Long Range Acoustic Devices are currently used around the world on sea (military, private and commercial vessels), on ground (tanks, armored vehicles, military/police vehicles, structures), and in the air (helicopters).
- Communications Range: Intelligible speech transmissions at 2000 m
- Maximum Communications Range of 650 m over 88 dB of background noise
- Maximum Volume (SPL): 148 dB at 1 meter
- Acoustic Beam Width: +/- 15° @ 1 kHz/-3dB
- Power Requirements: Normal Power Consumption 250 Watts, Peak 350 Watts
- Power Input: 12-28VDC
- Weight: 44 lbs without accessories
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 25" x 25" x 12"
- Available Colors: Gray (model AA76108), Tan (model AA76109)